Exodus 21 through 23
I'm just going to lay out some of my favorite laws in these chapters.
- If you buy a Hebrew slave, you must free him on his seventh year. Other slaves are screwed.
- If you gave your slave a wife while he was a slave and she has kids, the wife and children belong to the master. I don't have to say anything about this one.
- If you sell your daughter into slavery and she doesn't please her master, then the master can sell her in a "strange nation". Basically, if you need some extra cash, SELL YOUR DAUGHTER INTO SLAVERY!
- The master should be punished if he beats his slave so severely that he or she dies, or is out of commission for longer than a day. Otherwise, no biggy.
- If you beat your slave so severely he loses an eye or a tooth, then you have to free your slave.
- If you're child hits you; kill him!
- If you're child cusses at you; KILL HIM!
- If you seduce a woman to have sex with you, you have to marry her. But if her father is against the marriage, you must pay her the market price for virgins.
- Be kind to strangers, widows, and orphans. If not, God will not only kill you, but make your wife a widow and your child an orphan (duh).
- Give your firstborn son to God ... child sacrifice???
- If an ox kills someone, STONE the ox! If the ox's owner lies about the ox being aggressive in the past, stone him too!
- If you dig a pit, and an ox falls and dies in it; the dead animal is your's!
- Don't boil a baby goat in its mother's milk
- You shouldn't worship other people's gods. In fact, you should overthrow them!
- Fellow Israelites don't get an interest rate when you loan to them, but foreigners - charging interest is okay
A few good things
- Don't do what others do if you think it's wrong
- If you witness an enemy's livestock wandering astray; you should bring it back to him.
- Be honest, and don't kill innocent people.
- Help out poor people